Friday, February 28, 2014

Creating Gallery Walls


Hey Dinosaurs! This Friday, I'm bringing you a little feature on gallery walls! This interest of mine came about after my wedding, when I realized I had so many pictures and pieces I wanted to share and display. So, I decided to group them together and create a gallery wall. I actually ended up creating 2 galleries, since I had so many pieces! Check out the galleries below, then I'll tell you how I set them up!

The first gallery wall was dedicated to the print aspect of my wedding. I loved all of the invitations and cards we incorporated, so I had to make sure they were framed! 






This gallery includes: shadowbox of special details, thank you card, wedding invitation, rehearsal dinner invitation, save the date card, and wedding ceremony program. The shadowbox includes some of the special details that were part of our attire and some of the table decor. I chose to set up the print gallery above our corner table, designated for keys and mail; it was just the perfect size!

Next, I created a larger gallery wall to incorporate my favorite pictures and some significant art.






This gallery included: portraits of us, with our families, and our wedding party, a shot from our ceremony, and a print from Pokémon and one of clever 'wedding computer code' (from Redbubble). I had so much fun putting this one together! I loved so many different shots from our wedding day, I found this was the perfect way to remember and enjoy all of it. I hung this gallery over our couch, spanning the full length of the couch, for all to enjoy! Though some may find it tedious, I thoroughly enjoy choosing mats and frames to complement each of these pieces! And seeing how doing that kind of thing is part of my job certainly helped ;)

Setting up your gallery wall

First, I had all my pictures/art pieces printed and framed. Once I knew what all of my pieces were, I could choose how to organize the together. I realize this may not always be the best method - the sizes of everything you chose may not go together cohesively - but I don't like to restrict myself to just choosing a couple of sizes and fitting my pictures within that.

Next, I laid all my frames out on the floor to see what setup I wanted. Once I had them organized, I cut paper out to the size of each of the frames, and taped each of them up to the wall in the fashion I had already chosen. This really helped to make sure you liked it on the wall, and as a reference as to the exact location I needed to place my hanging materials.

Tips
-For my portrait gallery, I had one portrait that I wanted to be the focal point, then organized everything around that. If you have one significant or larger piece, you may want to center that on your gallery. This wasn't the case for my print gallery, so I just set the frames so that they all looked good together.

-If you have a lot of pictures and don't think you can fit them all in individual frames, think about printing them in smaller sizes and grouping them together into collage frames. You can see how I had two of these in my portrait gallery, one on each side. This helped me add multiple shots I loved with our family and wedding party.

All frames were purchased from A.C. Moore, some of which were custom jobs (large couple portrait, wedding invitation, and rehearsal dinner invitation), with the exception of the save the date frame (purchased from Art to Frames).

I hope you all enjoyed taking this little picture tour with me and I hope you might be inspired for your own gallery walls! I'd love to see any that you create!

Happy Friday Dinos!
<3

No comments:

Post a Comment